The Dayton Metro Library is inviting the whole community to a Summer Party. There will be free entertainment, games, contests and hands-on activities for the whole family on Saturday, August 9, 1:00-4:00 p.m. at the Main Library and in Cooper Park, downtown Dayton.
Chuck Duritsch from the Dayton Metro Library says, “We want to celebrate not only our summer readers who worked hard and met their goals, but also have a fun afternoon for everyone!”
What’s in store?
Visit the Technology Petting Zoo to see the latest gadgets, then pet puppies from the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. Make your own cotton candy, then ride a blender bike and make a smoothie. Time the Rubik’s Cube champ, learn break dancing skills from Deja Kru, and meet a young Yo-Yo Master. Book swaps, henna tattoos, physical challenges, chess games, storytimes, oh my! There’s too much to mention. Suffice it to say there are activities throughout Cooper Park and inside the Main Library as well – plenty for adults and children to have a fun, free afternoon. Food vendors will be on hand for the purchase of food and beverages, but all other activities (from the Active Zone to the Zoot Theatre puppets) are FREE.
“This is a chance for families to come together for a fun, free event to celebrate the summer,” said Diane Farrell, Director of External Relations for the Library. The Library invites you to come enjoy an afternoon with your friends, family and neighbors at the Dayton Metro Library as we wrap up a super summer and get ready for a fabulous fall!
More details from the Library:
The event features:
- Hands-on activities, crafts and experiments
- The Kids BookMobile
- The Batmobile with Batman and Robin
- Curious George, The Cat in the Hat, Heater and Gem from The Dayton Dragons and costumed Star Wars characters
- The Zoot Theatre Company puppets
- Music by DJ Dan Edwards
- An active zone with hula hoops, jump ropes, Frisbees, bubbles and bikes
- A Book Swap for all ages, plus more!
Partner organizations and guests include:
- Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission teaching bike safety
- Humane Society of Greater Dayton showcasing pet adoptions
- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery meeting animals up close
- Muse Machine – leading active story and dance
- Ohio Virtual Academy and Chaminade Julienne High School – getting hands on with STEM labs and slime
- Rosewood Arts Center – exploring comic book art
- ThinkTV – PBS Kids Island
- Time Warner Cable – science behind cotton candy
- Dayton Mom-Spot Blog – book and swag bag giveaways
- Welcome Dayton – language activities
- Prevent Blindness Ohio – coloring and eye health
- EarthFare – Sun Safety
- Yo-Yo demonstrations, break dancing and the national Rubik’s Cube champion
Admission and all activities are free. Food trucks will be on hand for the purchase of food and beverages. Summer Reading Club participants of all ages can bring their completed folders to the Party for special prizes.
For more information, visit DaytonMetroLibrary.org or call the Library’s External Relations Department at 937-496-8901.