On Oct 14th of this past year 19 speakers spoke with passion about topics from hope to failure, sparkle to musical theater and gender and labeling. The event uses TED’s celebrated format of short, carefully prepared talks, demonstrations and performances that foster learning, inspiration, and wonder while also provoking conversations that matter. The TEDxDayton event showcases talks on a wide range of subjects without commercial, religious, or political agendas.
“It’s been exciting to experience this community’s overwhelming support for TEDxDayton,” said event license holder Sean Creighton. “Dayton is a community full of passionate, inspired and engaged people, of dreamers and doers in the world. The way this community has embraced TEDxDayton really illustrates this fact.”
- Changing the Game in Musical Theatre
Joe Deer, Professor and Musical Theatre Initiative Director, Wright State University
The Power of Interviewing
Neenah Ellis, General Manager, WYSO
- The Humanity in Privacy
Scot Ganow, Attorney, Faruki Ireland & Cox P.L.L.
Find Yourself in the Sparkle
Cassie Guard, Owner and CEO, Femme Fatale Fitness
Space Traffic and the Tragedy of the Commons
Moriba Jah, Director, University of Arizona Space Object Behavioral Sciences
Hospitality and the wisdom of Betty Crocker
Linda Jones, Vice President of Finance and Administration, Software Solutions, Inc.
Make things better
Darren Kall, Co-founder, Specific Clarity
Hope for Emily
Deanna Murphy, Co-founder, Brigid’s Path
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Failure
Robert Owens, Educational Consultant, Signature Educational Solutions
- The Trouble with Using Labels to Define Instead of Describe
Lance Salyers, Senior Director, LexisNexis Legal & Professional
Taking Patients to the Consumer Level
Brenden Wynn, Operations Manager, Providence Medical Group
The spectrum of gender
Jonah Yokoyama, Executive Director, Heartland Trans Wellness Group
Your Story Matters
Ryan Ireland, Publicity and Marketing Coordinator, Greene County Public Library
Internet of Everything
Tyler Back, CEO, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Self-esteem is Not the Answer
Heidi Landes, Parent Coach, Courage for Parents.com
- How the Arts and Funk Music Influence my Life
David Webb, President and CEO, The Funk Music Hall of Fame & Exhibition Center
- Do the Thing in Front of You
Ambassador Tony Hall, Executive Director Emeritus, Alliance to End Hunger
- A Middle Schooler’s Solution to Islamophobia
Salma Albezreh, Student, Morton Middle School
- Bulldozers and Cranes
Jo’el Thomas-Jones, Community Support Coordinator and Co-founder, Neighborhoods Over Politics
Time: All Day
Location: Victoria Theater
Speaker application Instructions:
- Complete and submit your application.
- Look for a Confirmation of Receipt in 1-3 days.
- In May, selected applicants will be contacted by e-mail to audition. Audition dates are June 6, 7, and 10.
If you are selected as a TEDxDayton 2017 speaker, you will be expected to:
- Work with the Speakers Committee and your assigned mentor to refine and practice your talk.
- Attend the Speakers Workshop on Saturday, July 22nd.
- Attend rehearsals on select dates in August, September, and October.
- Attend final dress rehearsal on October 19th and the entire event on October 20th.