Good things happen to good people. So is the case with local musician and national American Idol Star, Alexis Gomez. Hard work and success has paid off for this fun natured, family loving young woman. She is one of the nicest, down to earth people you could meet. It isn’t every day that you get to go on a Food Adventure with a music star!
You may remember when she first stole America’s heart with her memorable TV debut, the audition scene where she “made it to hollywood” HERE IS THE VIDEO.
Alexis took time out of her busy schedule to have lunch with us at one of her favorite spots, Boosalis Bakery in Crosse Pointe Center, Centerville. Recently, she has been traveling to Nashville and Dayton to write and record music. Alexis is also gearing up for a slew of concerts this summer ranging from Dayton area venues to the House of Blues, Cleveland! Food Adventures sat down with Alexis, her mom and sister and of course we wanted to talk .. FOOD
But before we dive into that, let’s get to know one of Dayton’s upcoming stars and 2015 Amercian Idol Finalist..
HERE’S THE SKINNY ON ALEXIS GOMEZ:
— She is a Dayton native who has been playing music and singing with her family her whole life. She has many photos on her Instagram of early years playing shows, or rehearsing with her family.
— Very involved in her church, Alexis and her family believe in giving back to the community. She has a strong spiritual upbringing, that has made her humble and well grounded, with a refreshing appreciation for life.
— Alexis is definitely a foodie, and told us of her American Idol visits to some cities where she got to sample the area foods. But many times, the contestants were served a strict diet, some of which included limited selections. She laughed, telling us she doesn’t like mushrooms for breakfast. But sometimes that was all they had to offer, so she was grateful when traveling and getting some “outside food.”
— What’s next for Alexis? Look for more music from her and a busy 2016 tour scene, all over Ohio with a stop in Nashville and even the country of Poland.
The Big Ragu, Hungry Jax and Chef House, talked food and took some yummy advice from this talented young lady…
Being in the top group for the 2015 American Idol, we thought it would be great for Alexis to tell us about her top 10 favorite places to eat in the Miami Valley, bar none ! SO without further delay…. here are her picks!
ALEXIS GOMEZ’ TOP 8 DAYTON FOOD PLACES:
1) DON PABLOS – Yes, we know it is a chain, but her Mexican roots call out to her current obsession – Don Pablo’s Prairie Fire Bean Dip. There is a location near the Fairfield Commons Mall.
2) FLYING PIZZA: She loves the hand tossed classic cheese pizza, a Dayton original! Alexis also finds their breadsticks and cheese sauce irresistable.
3) MI BURRITO MEXICAN GRILL: Located at 8374 Princeton Glendale Road in Mason, Ohio, this place is a little known secret to Daytonians. Alexis says it is worth the short drive for some amazing burritos, nachos and more Mexican specialties
5) CITY BBQ: Her “go to” is the Chicken Tenders with the
Brushfire BBQ sauce! Alexis hits up the downtown Centerville location, but there is another location in Beavercreek/Fairborn at 2330 N Fairfield Rd. for foodies in that area.
6) BOOSALIS BAKING and CAFE: Alexis told us about an incredible trademark menu item here, and she was right! The Cranberry Turkey Sandwich served with homemade cranberry bread is one of the best sandwiches Food Adventures has ever eaten. Also those Kouign Amann pastries, pronounced “Queen Amann,” are delicate, delicious buttery pastries, that are reminiscent of a croissant in a cupcake shape. You gotta try this place in Cross Pointe Center!
7) LOCK 27 BREWING: Alexis says the Keener Burger is the best bet here. Chef House agrees !
9) DEWEY’S PIZZA: Great pizza, started in the Oakley neighborhood in Cincinnati. Alexis suggests this custom combination to top your pizza: White Sauce, Ricotta Cheese, Banana Peppers and Roasted Red Peppers.